It is Baseball Season... Finally

It is Baseball Season... Finally

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Opening Day Baby Whoooooo!

Take it in baby, take it all in. Yesterday was Opening Day and the beginning of the rest of summer. This is the part of the year that matters, the half of the year where baseball hermits come out of their shells and come out to the ballpark. Where fathers and sons converge on the front lawn to have a catch, where little leaguers put on their uniforms six hours early, just because they like the look, where wooden bats echo through our ears. Even as a Met fan, I had to watch my two least favorite teams play on Opening Night, and I loved it. I could have turned the picture off and just listened to Jon Miller's voice announcing the game, the iconic voice of baseball. When I got home from school yesterday, I immediately turned on the Met game. It might not have been the best baseball weather, but I could still smell the Cincinatti grass and could taste the hot dogs being sold. A 2-1 victory for the Mets was pine tar on my cap; it was a game that they would not have won last year. Johan Santana got into trouble in the sixth, and they took him out, understandbly. But just going through the motions was excitement enough for me. My eyes were glued, and they will be glued for the rest of the season..... Baaaaatter Up!

No comments: